2020 ANNUAL MEETINGS RESOLUTIONS
OF THE INTER-AFRICAN COFFEE ORGANISATION (IACO)
Accra, November 20, 2020
The 2020 Annual Meetings of the Inter-African Coffee Organisation comprising the 60th Annual General Assembly, the 3rd African Coffee Scientific Conference , the 2nd High Level Policy Forum, the 8th African Coffee Symposium and IACO Technical Committee Meetings took place from November 10 to 20, 2020, online, from Accra, under the Chairmanship of Honourable Dr. Owusu Afriyie-AKOTO, Minister of Food and Agriculture of the Republic of Ghana.
The following Member States participated: Angola, Benin, Burundi, Cameroon, Côte d'Ivoire, Ethiopia, Gabon, Ghana, Republic of Guinea, Kenya, Nigeria, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Republic of Congo, Rwanda, Togo and Uganda and the Republic of Namibia as an observer
Representatives of the following regional and international institutions also took part: the Agency for Robusta Coffee of Africa and Madagascar (ACRAM), African Fine Coffees Association (AFCA), the African Union (AU), Cafe Africa, Global Coffee Platform, the International Coffee Organization (ICO), CABI, CIRAD, African Export-Import Bank (Afreximbank), the African Development Bank, Amir Hamza Ltd.
After the welcome speech by Dr. Frederick KAWUMA, Secretary General of the Inter-African Coffee Organisation, Statement on behalf of Cocobod Chief Executive, Hon. Joseph Boahen AIDOO by Dr. Emmanuel Agyeman DWOMOH, Ghana Cocoa Board, Deputy Chief Executive (A&QC) and Chairman of the Organising Committee, Statement on behalf of IACO Chairman, by Dr. Emmanuel OPOKU, Deputy Chief Executive (Operations), Ghana Cocoa Board, H.E. Amb. Josefa SACKO, AU Commissioner of Agriculture, Rural Development, Blue Economy and Sustainable Environment, Mr. José Dauster SETTE , Executive Director of the International Coffee Organization (ICO), Professor Benedict ORAMAH, President of Afreximbank, His Excellency Hailemariam DESALEGN BOSHE, Former Prime Minister of Ethiopia and Patron of IACO, and the Honourable Dr. Owusu Afriyie-AKOTO, Minister of Food and Agriculture of the Republic of Ghana, Chairman of IACO, representing His Excellency Nana AKUFO-ADDO, President of the Republic of Ghana.
The following resolutions were made:
- Scientific conference
- Information sharing among scientists in the coffee sector in Africa should be enhanced,
- Funding for research in the coffee sector in Africa should be made available,
- High level policy forum
- Encourage Member states to meet their financial obligations to allow IACO General Secretariat to deliver good results.
- 8th African Coffee Symposium
- Enhance collaboration and promote experience sharing between policy makers, investors, producers and any other stakeholders of the Coffee Value Chain in Africa to address the issue of Climate Change and other critical issues;
- Promote the implementation of improved agricultural practices, facilitate easy access to finance and equipment to optimise coffee production and productivity in order to increase incomes of resource-poor smallholder producers;
- Encourage information sharing to promote a strong social network and efficient flow of communication among stakeholders;
- Adopt measures to improve the quality of the African coffee to meet the requirements of the niche markets;
- Develop and implement policies that allow the actors in the coffee sector to improve production, quality, market promotion and branding and local consumption.
- 60th Annual General Meeting
- Reschedule activities not carried out during coffee year 2019/2020 due to the COVID 19 pandemic for coffee year 2020/2021;
- Due to budgetary constraints, certain activities should be carried out online, as far as possible;
- Appoint the audit firm MNG, of Côte d'Ivoire, to carry out the Organisation’s audit for three years;
- Publish the reports of the scientific conference on the IACO website;
- Encourage Member States to share their data on coffee for better market analysis;
- Develop an appropriate system for capturing relevant data at source from the Member States, relating to intra-Africa coffee trade within the African Continental Free Trade Area (AfCFTA) in collaboration with the AU Commission and the AfCFTA Secretariat;
- Finalise with Afreximbank the launch of the Africa Coffee Facility in close collaboration with the African Union Commission and other partners;
- Suspension of the right to vote for Member States which are in arrears with respect to the payment of their contributions;
- Adoption of the New IACO Agreement;
- Adoption of the operating budget of IACO for the amount of 639,216 euros for the Coffee Year 2020/2021;
- Reconstitution of the Reserve Fund from the payment of arrears;
- Change of title of the Director of Economic Studies to Director of Economic Affairs;
- Appointment of staff members in the professional category:
- Secretary General: Amb. Solomon Sabiti RUTEGA from Uganda,
- Director of Research and Development: Dr Celestin Mutimura GATARAHIYA from Rwanda, and
- Director of Economic Affairs: Mr. Coulibaly BEMA from Côte d'Ivoire.
The Delegate, on behalf of the members, thanked in particular the Government of the Republic of Ghana for their valuable efforts towards successfully hosting IACO’s 2020 Annual Meetings. On the proposal of the Board of Directors, the General Assembly communicated the following appointments:
Chairman of IACO: Hon Dr. Gerardine MUKESHIMANA, Minister of Agriculture and Animal Resources of the Republic of Rwanda
Vice-President: HE Oumer HUSSIEN, Minister of Agriculture of the Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia
The date and place of the next Annual Meetings in November 2021 to be confirmed by the Republic of Rwanda:
Done in Accra, 20th November 2020.
Duly Signed by the Chairman of IACO for 2019/2020
Hon Dr. Owusu Afriyie-AKOTO
Minister of Food and Agriculture
Republic of Ghana